Kestrel is my first minimum-diameter high-power rocket. I built it between June and August 2018, planning to fly it at Airfest that year, but had to cancel that trip due to a family emergency. I ended up painting it in December and then taking it to Airfest in 2019.
The kit is a Wildman Mach Two, built with three fins instead of the four that came with the kit. I learned later that high-performance rockets like this are often designed with four fins to reduce coning. With three fins, the rocket did experience quite a bit of coning on its first flight (see launch report linked below). Other components used: Aero Pack thread-on motor retainer, Cesaroni tailcone rear closure, Spherachutes 36" ultra-light parachute, and an Altus Metrum TeleMega with a Featherweight magnetic switch. The rocket is built specifically for Cesaroni 6-grain motors. While it would be possible to fly a shorter motor using Aero Pack's adapter system, I have no plans to do so.
ProLine epoxy was used for all bonding. No additional fiberglass reinforcement (i.e., tip-to-tip) was used. The rocket was finished with Rustoleum sandable primer and Rustoleum gloss enamel, and the graphics were made on my vinyl cutter.
Bonding of fins to airframe.
Kestrel's sled with TeleMega.
Kestrel's antenna protector.
Finished rocket, with motor alongside it.